Wearside League: Silksworth Rangers hit for six by Hartlepool

Originally published by SportsByte on October 11th 2012.

Silksworth Rangers succumbed to a superior Hartlepool FC side as they were thrashed 6-1 at home in the Wearside league.

Keith Stafford’s side have now gone five league games without a win and they will have been disappointed not to have capitalised on the euphoria from Saturday’s 1-0 win against Annfield in the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup.

In a scrappy game, Hartlepool enjoyed the lionshare of possession as they looked to bounce back from their weekend 4-2 defeat to Richmond.

Silksworth were looking for their third league win of the season and got off to the perfect start, John Turvey heading home a right wing cross from close range.

The home side, though, were always on the back foot and struggled to contain Hartlepool, who saw a cross flash across goal just moments after Turvey’s opener.

With 20 minutes gone, Hartlepool got their equaliser after some fine possession play from the away side. Luke Naylor finished well but Silksworth goalkeeper Adam Don was left exposed following some sloppy play in front of him.

Hartlepool had the lead just four minutes later, Shaun Ross firing home from just inside the penalty area after more slack play in the Silksworth defence and midfield.

Mistakes cost Silksworth dearly in the first half, and it could have been more than a one-goal lead at half-time had left-back Jonathan Bolton’s free-kick gone inside the post rather than just wide of it after a needless foul on the edge of the area.

The home side seemed to come out for the second half with much more impetus and vigour but any spirit was wiped away with a devilishly quick free-kick from 25 yards. The impressive Ross whipped in his second past the stranded Don while his wall was still being assembled.

From there, it was merely a matter of seeing the game out for Hartlepool and one of consolidation for Silksworth. Tempers from both sides began to flare as the game wore on, as both sides saw one of their players go into the referee Lee Brennan’s notebook for persistent fouling.

The game was already over as a contest but Hartlepool began to expose a now-exhausted Silksworth side even more. Craig Hutchinson made it 4-1 just after the hour mark, latching on to a through ball to slot home with ease before Silksworth’s defence was carved open again, substitute Matty Kelsey finishing neatly to all-but-seal the win.

Hartlepool did wrap up the three points with ten minutes to go, an unmarked Shannon Davies, on his debut, powering home a header from Mark Henderson’s excellent corner.

With Darlington Cleveland Bridge and Wolviston both winning, the 6-1 loss leaves Silksworth bottom of the table. Hartlepool, meanwhile, leap to fourth.

FULL TIME: Silksworth 1 (Turvey) – Hartlepool 6 (Naylor, Ross (2), Hutchinson, Kelsey, Davies)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s